Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Butterfly like moth

Question
Butterfly like moth
Butterfly like moth  
QUESTION: This beautiful guy spent the morning clinging to my door in Atlantic Canada on June 28th. I thought he was injured but just recently took flight.  Can you tell me name of this and would it just  have been resting...

ANSWER: Joanne:

Polyphemus Moth!  Got to get offline, dangerous lightning in our neighborhood, or I'd tell you more about it.

Eric

Another moth on door
Another moth on door  
QUESTION: Thank you Eric , and another moth appears today on my door step, has been there for past 4 hours.  Do you know what variety this one is, it's much smaller  than other one .  What is drawing them to my door?

Answer
Joanne:

This one is the One-eyed Sphinx Moth, Smerinthus cerisyi .  Another one of my favorites.  I grew up in Portland, Oregon, so we didn't have many big moths like they do back east....

I suspect you leave a light on that the moths are attracted to.  Otherwise, I have no idea what is drawing them to your door.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton