Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Butterfly like moth

Butterfly like moth
Butterfly like moth  
QUESTION: This beautiful guy spent the morning clinging to my door in Atlantic Canada on June 28th. I thought he was injured but just recently took flight.  Can you tell me name of this and would it just  have been resting...

ANSWER: Joanne:

Polyphemus Moth!  Got to get offline, dangerous lightning in our neighborhood, or I'd tell you more about it.

Another moth on door
Another moth on door  
QUESTION: Thank you Eric , and another moth appears today on my door step, has been there for past 4 hours.  Do you know what variety this one is, it's much smaller  than other one .  What is drawing them to my door?

This one is the One-eyed Sphinx Moth, Smerinthus cerisyi .  Another one of my favorites.  I grew up in Portland, Oregon, so we didn't have many big moths like they do back east....

I suspect you leave a light on that the moths are attracted to.  Otherwise, I have no idea what is drawing them to your door.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.