Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Cocoon worms


Cocoon like worm
Cocoon like worm  

I have these strange bugs coming out of my wall in my garage. We have seen this pile of dirt or wood, not sure what it is but we always just vacuumed it up. We bought house and 2-3 months layer found this pile next to walls. Now I am finding these cocoon like worms in it and they are also going up concrete walls and all over in my garage where things are being stored while fixing house inside. I am itching all over just thinking about them. Gross. Can you tell me what they are and how do I get rid of them?


These are called plaster bagworms, a type of clothes moth (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/clothes_moth.html for general information about clothes moths and google "plaster bagworm"). They are very common and harmless. Sometimes they are associated with spider webs which they eat.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Jack DeAngelis


I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.


20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology

©2017 About.com. All rights reserved.