Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification of small bug in home.

Question
Bug Upside Down
Bug Upside Down  

Bug Container
Bug Container  
Hi Eric,

I have spotted this creature in multiple locations in my home; in the entrance way, on some exposed studs and on the bathroom floor at different times of the day, mostly commonly during the evening - when I am actually home. The one in the picture is one of several that was located on a UPS cardboard package that I received. The creature is very small, is less than 1/16th of an inch, is relatively flat and crawls relatively fast for its size. It has 6 legs and antennae. Its movement can be characterized by using its antennae to "sniff" out its environment. I was able to capture one of them in a container and was able to take some pictures (attached).

What kind of creature is this and is it's presence a threat to my family or home?

Thanks much in a advance. Please let me know if you need more info.

Answer
Caleb:

The tiny creature in question is a non-insect hexapod known as a "springtail."  Here is a blog post I wrote about them:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/11/springtails.html

That story should answer all your questions, but no, they pose no health threat whatsoever, nor do they damage property or pets.  At worst they are a nuisance.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton