Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Multicolored Jumpning Spider

Black Jumping Spider 01_1
Black Jumping Spider 0  
Evening Eric,

I live in Homosassa, FL.

Ran across this black body jumping spider with white/orange/yellow strpes.  Can not seem to ID it through any on line sources.  Can you help ?  Need general and scientific name.

That is a spectacular image of a spectacular specimen.  I strongly suspect it is an immature specimen of something in the Phidippus genus.  Juvenile spiders often sport color patterns vastly different from the adult.  I'm not sure *anyone* could help you, though there is a growing community of jumping spider breeders, some members of which might recognize this one.

If you are on Facebook, by any chance, look for Facebook "groups" devoted to jumping spiders, and try posting there.  You might also try, or do an online search for jumping spider breeders.

Wish I could be of more help, though this kind of question helps me in my current project, a new field guide to spiders for Princeton University Press that I have barely started to write.  It helps to know what people want to know!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.