Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Multicolored Jumpning Spider

Question
Black Jumping Spider 01_1
Black Jumping Spider 0  
Evening Eric,

I live in Homosassa, FL.

Ran across this black body jumping spider with white/orange/yellow strpes.  Can not seem to ID it through any on line sources.  Can you help ?  Need general and scientific name.

Answer
Ralph:

That is a spectacular image of a spectacular specimen.  I strongly suspect it is an immature specimen of something in the Phidippus genus.  Juvenile spiders often sport color patterns vastly different from the adult.  I'm not sure *anyone* could help you, though there is a growing community of jumping spider breeders, some members of which might recognize this one.

If you are on Facebook, by any chance, look for Facebook "groups" devoted to jumping spiders, and try posting there.  You might also try Insectgeeks.com, or do an online search for jumping spider breeders.

Wish I could be of more help, though this kind of question helps me in my current project, a new field guide to spiders for Princeton University Press that I have barely started to write.  It helps to know what people want to know!

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton