Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider in bedroom

Question
Top
Top  

Bottom
Bottom  
My wife asked me to get this spider in our room.  It was around 10:00 p.m.  We live in the Central Valley in California.  What is it? I wasn't sure if it was a male black widow or not.  If it is, would a female be not far away? It wasn't in a web.  I've included a picture from the top and the bottom.  Thanks a bunch.

Answer
Kevin:

Your spider does appear to be a male, but it is not a black widow.  Without seeing the specimen, I cannot give a responsible answer as to what else it could be.

Here is a blog post I did on the Western Black Widow, which includes images of males and juvenile specimens:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2011/07/spider-sunday-western-black-widow.html

There is also information on how to prevent spider bites in general.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton