Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange bug with eyelashes?

Question
Bug
Bug  
Hello Jessica, my friend found a bug and she described it as being striped like a bee but has some weird eyelashes and i was wondering if you could tell me what kind of bug it is. Thank you for any help!

Answer
Hi Nolan,

The photo is of a male Glowworm Beetle (Phengodidae). The larvae and larviform females (translation: the youngsters and females look like worms) have bioluminescent organs that glow through their skin, but the males look more like your typical beetle and have the feathery "eyelashes" you mentioned. These "eyelashes" are actually antennae that are used to find females. The antennae have chemical receptors for detecting female pheromones. Thanks for the great photo.

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger