Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this??

Question
Bunch
Bunch  
Individual
Individual  
QUESTION: Hello! I went to vacuum in my bedroom and noticed in a far corner by the window a ton of dead black ant like creatures. Many were tucked between carpet and baseboard with a sprinkling of them all on the carpet too. I have attached a photo. Thanks in advance!

ANSWER: Christy,

I'm having trouble seeing enough detail to id these critters. Can you possibly get a clearer image? You might try using a flashlight as a light source and see if you camera supports any sort of "macro" mode. Post a follow up and I'll help you figure this out.

Jack DeAngelis

More
More  
More
More  
QUESTION: Here is a better photo of one on its back.....those suckers are hard to flip over and stay! I also took a closer one of the bunch. When I dug in carpet between the baseboard to gather some more I found a freaky larvae casing. Not sure if it is related since NC homes are common to have carpet beetles so might be from that, although I rarely see a carpet beetle.

ANSWER: Christy,

I'm sorry but this one has me stumped. The cast skin you uncovered is indeed from a carpet beetle larva but the rest are not carpet beetles. If you are near NC State they have an insect id clinic where someone could put one of these under a microscope. If you are not near Raleigh then your county Extension office (extension.org) can help you get a sample to them.

Jack DeAngelis

QUESTION: Sorry to be a pain, but is it safe to say not termites?

Answer
No trouble. They are not termites. In fact I don't think they are anything to be overly concerned about. If you do send a sample to NC State I'd be curious to hear what they (and who) say. I was at NC State many years ago and at least back then (25+ years) they had a good insect id clinic. Sorry again I can be more specific.

Jack DeAngelis  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis