Entomology (Study of Bugs)/blonde tarantula

big spider
big spider  
Hi my name is sam and I recently discovered a big blonde tarantula in my back yard last night and then I saw it in my frint yard an hour later my question is how do I get rid of it without killing it I am worried thatIit will bit my small dog and killing my small dog I also have a big dog too but my small dog like to go after bugs or anything moving like that I know the tarantula is just doing whats in its nature and so I dont want to kill or harm if I dont need to but I would like to send it on its way away from my home any advise on how to accomplish this will be much appreciated you may also contact my by cellphone my number is  I live in marana tucson arizona

Your image is very small, but it would appear the tarantula is a male.  Males wander naturally in search of mates, and this one will very likely leave your yard without you having to do anything.

Your dogs would have more to fear from tiny, irritating hairs the tarantula kicks off of its abdomen.  Rather than bite, tarantulas kick those barbed hairs into the air where they can be inhaled by a predator that comes too close.  The hairs can cause inflammation of mucus membranes, and even allergic reactions in humans, too.

If you must have the spider removed, please consult the University of Arizona entomology department for suggestions.  They may know of someone who would happily come and get it from you.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.