Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bugs on Ceiling

Question
Bugs-Normal View
Bugs-Normal View  

Bugs-Close Up
Bugs-Close Up  
The roof of my 69 year old house started leaking with all the rain we have had in the last three weeks and a crack had appeared in the drywall.  I don't know if this is related, but I discovered a patch, on my ceiling, that looked like a patch of mildew, so it would've made since.  Then, I noticed that it wasn't a patch, but it was breaking up and these 1/4 inch long things were moving.  I had seen this one other time in my life in a 7 year old house that I had lived in, but had questioned myself at the time as to whether I really saw these things moving because I got rid of it quicker, but it is the same thing as what I am seeing now.  What are these bugs?  I'm in process of selling my house.  Thank you!

Answer
Jodi:

Huh, I got one view of one of the images and then lost the ability to "click to enlarge" the other one....

I believe these are probably "springtails," which thrive in damp situations, and graze on mold spores, decaying organic matter, etc.  They are not harmful, but can be a nuisance in *any* home.  Using a dehumidifier in the room might help.  Here's a blog post I wrote about them:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2014/11/springtails.html

I would be more concerned about mold and mildew than these insects.  Best wishes for a successful sale of your home. :-)

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton