Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Crab Spider

Question
Crab Spider
Crab Spider  
Evening Eric,

I have photographed several different crab spiders in the past several weeks.  This one is stricking and all my digging on the internet has not produced a match. I have come close!.  Can you provide the name and scientific named for my data base.  Thanks

Ralph

Answer
Ralph:

Great image as usual.

All that any expert could tell you without examining the actual specimen is that this is a male Mecaphesa species.  You have to look at the structures inside the pedipalp of a mature specimen to know what species.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/4999

Insects and spiders (and other arthropods) are not like birds or other vertebrates that have obvious "field marks" that separate the species.  Increasingly, through DNA analysis, we are learning there are many "cryptic species" inside what we once thought was one species.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton