Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Dragonfly?

Question
Hello, I was looking through you website a minute ago and I saw a dragonfly im guessing. you called it a genus vella. well I found one in my bathroom a few minutes ago and I was wondering if its a rare type or not.

Answer
Hi, Nicole:

The genus Vella includes at least two species of our largest antlions, which are in a different order from dragonflies.

Antlions are in the family Myrmeleontidae, order Neuroptera (includes lacewings, owlflies).

Vella is fairly common across the southern third of the U.S.  The adults are often attracted to lights at night, then sometimes stay put through the next morning or day.  The larvae are called antlions or "doodlebugs."  Vella larvae do not make the funnel-like pits, but instead bury themselves in the sand and ambush small insects that happen by.

Thanks for sharing your discovery!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton