Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Help Identifying A Bug

Question
Bug
Bug  
Hi
We have several of these small bugs and they are new this year. We first noticed them outside on our deck but they are now making their way inside possibly through the window sills and usually ending up in the sink where there might be a dish with water. Could you please let me know what these are and what we can do to get rid of them?
We live in Massachusetts and have woods/conservation land at the end of our yard but have never seen these.

Answer
Dear Alice - Your image is not detailed enough for me to be absolutely certain, but this looks very much like a springtail, a primitive arthropod in the order Collembola. Ones like this are harmless nuisance pests that fed primarily on bits of decomposing organic matter. They require a moist/humid environment in order to persist, so moisture management is the best control. See http://tinyurl.com/b4br233 for more detailed information.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad