Entomology (Study of Bugs)/moth??

Question
moth??
moth??  
This was on my front door way, it sat there for 3 days, never really moved. I live in Indiana and have either never seen one of these or just not paid attention. It was really interesting to look at.

Answer
Hi, Beth:

You are correct, it is a moth!  Thank you for including the nice, detailed image.

This is a "Walnut Sphinx" moth, Amorpha juglandis .  Here is more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/4144

Sphinx moths are often attracted to lights at night, but may remain in the immediate vicinity for the next day or so, relying on camouflage to protect them (dead leaf mimic in this case).

July 18-26 is National Moth Week, and you might want to participate if only by leaving your porch lights on to see what flies in.  Here's more information about that event:

http://nationalmothweek.org/

It is pretty easy to get hooked on "mothwatching," though.  Lots more diversity than in butterflies.

Hope you had a great Fourth of July, enjoy the rest of the summer!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton