Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unidentified insect in my home

Hanging on the wall
Hanging on the wall  

Next to my index finger
Next to my index finge  
Hi! My home seems to be infested by this tiny flying bugs. The look like miniature ladybugs, only they are all brown colored. We have started to notice them more and more during the day and night. Tonight for the first time I've caught a bunch of hem at once hanging around on our wall close to the light. I've killed a couple and they feel hard and they kind of crack... I'm including a couple of pictures. Please help me figure out what they are and how can I get rid of them!!

I live in an apt (18th floor) near the ocean in Puerto Rico.

Puerto Rico is rather outside my jurisdiction, but thanks to your images I may be able to help.

The insects are beetles, and probably either the "Drugstore Beetle" or the "Cigarette Beetle."
Both are considered "stored product pests" that can infest all kinds of dried products.

Here's more:

I would go through your kitchen pantry and bathroom items to find out what they are eating then discard the item(s).  Store vulnerable items in metal, glass, or durable plastic containers with tight-fitting lids to prevent future infestations.  Do not use chemicals to control household insects.

Good luck, hope you have a swift resolution to your situation.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.