Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Bug in my yard

Question
Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
There are several bugs in my yard that happen to look like tics, but do not jump like ticks. I went to my local hardware store to see if I get them identified but they had no idea what they were. I will attach a picture in hopes that it will assist you in identifying this mystery bug.

Answer
Maria,

You are correct that this is not a tick. It is a true bug (Hemiptera) but it is an immature which makes it very difficult to id further. It may, however, be a brown marmorated stink bug (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/brown_marmorated_stinkbug.html) based on overall shape and color pattern but I can't be sure. These stink bugs are a relatively new agricultural pest in parts of the US including California. BTW, ticks don't jump.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis