Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Bug in my yard

Mystery Bug
Mystery Bug  
There are several bugs in my yard that happen to look like tics, but do not jump like ticks. I went to my local hardware store to see if I get them identified but they had no idea what they were. I will attach a picture in hopes that it will assist you in identifying this mystery bug.

You are correct that this is not a tick. It is a true bug (Hemiptera) but it is an immature which makes it very difficult to id further. It may, however, be a brown marmorated stink bug (see based on overall shape and color pattern but I can't be sure. These stink bugs are a relatively new agricultural pest in parts of the US including California. BTW, ticks don't jump.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

Ph.D. in Entomology