Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown insect

Question
Unknown insect
Unknown insect  

Unkown insect
Unkown insect  
I live in the Phoenix Arizona area and my wife came across a brownish dead insect with long wings 11/16" long, a wasp like abdomen and 1/8" long fangs. We couldn't tell how many legs it had as it was between the cracks of our patio stones. At first we thought it might be a flying termite, but found nothing on the web that resembled this guy. Please see attachments.

Answer
Robert:

The insect in the images is a severely mangled specimen of a Turkestan Roach, Shelfordella lateralis .  It is an introduced species that is now well-established in the southwest U.S.  Here's more:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/146445

There is the outside chance it is a male sand roach, Arenivaga sp., but I rather doubt it.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/79987

Sorry to be the bearer of "bad" news, though as cockroaches go even the Turkestan species is not that problematic.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton