Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Insect - patio damage

Sand and hole
Sand and hole  
Mr. Hintz,

I'm Cindra and live in Nashville, TN.  I have stone pavers in my backyard.  We poured sand beneath/in between the pavers when they were laid.  Something keeps digging and kicking up the sand causing deep holes down I between and under the pavers.  At first, we thought they were Lion Ants.  We treated for that (boiling water and any killer) but it has now happened a second time.  We're wondering if it's something different.  It's as if something underground is burrowing in the sand and kicking it up on the pavers in large quantities.  Hard to belie a tiny ant could do all this damage so quickly.  I've attached a picture and would love to know your thoughts.

HI cindra
Antlions would not built their ant traps in cracks like this. I am sure this is the work of plain old ants.  You are correct. One tiny ant could not do this but a lot of them could. I am just guessing here because I have not seen the culprit. UNtil you can see an insect doing this I can only tell you what I think. If you find out more let me know

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ