Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Unknown Insect - patio damage

Question
Sand and hole
Sand and hole  
Mr. Hintz,

I'm Cindra and live in Nashville, TN.  I have stone pavers in my backyard.  We poured sand beneath/in between the pavers when they were laid.  Something keeps digging and kicking up the sand causing deep holes down I between and under the pavers.  At first, we thought they were Lion Ants.  We treated for that (boiling water and any killer) but it has now happened a second time.  We're wondering if it's something different.  It's as if something underground is burrowing in the sand and kicking it up on the pavers in large quantities.  Hard to belie a tiny ant could do all this damage so quickly.  I've attached a picture and would love to know your thoughts.

Answer
HI cindra
Antlions would not built their ant traps in cracks like this. I am sure this is the work of plain old ants.  You are correct. One tiny ant could not do this but a lot of them could. I am just guessing here because I have not seen the culprit. UNtil you can see an insect doing this I can only tell you what I think. If you find out more let me know

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz