Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Wasp ID

Wasp 02
Wasp 02  

Wasp 03_1
Wasp 03_1  
Evening Eric,

I've seen this wasp around several times.  each time it is eating the remains of and insect that a spider or assassin bug has made a meal of.  The wasp is about 1" or slightly larger.

I thought it might be a boldface but the body is a brown.  I then thought it could be a Souther Yellowjacket.  While searching I ran across an article by you on the subject.

Anyway,  I need a name, scientic name etc.

Wasp 02 is a female paper wasp, Polistes exclamans eating some kind of caterpillar it would appear.

Wasp 03 does not show enough characters for me to give a definitive answer, but I strongly suspect it is a male "weevil wasp" in the genus Cerceris (family Crabronidae).

It is late, so please excuse the short answers.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.