Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Yellow-Gold Colored Beetle

Beetle 01_1
Beetle 01_1  
Ran across this small beetle on my pool screen.  It appears to be about 3/16" long.  The antenna added confusion to making the ID.  I figured it might be a goldsmith beetle "Gold Bug", then maybe a Tortoise Beetle.  Can you provide the common name and the scientific name.  Thanks

Hi, Ralph:

Definitely a leaf beetle, family Chrysomelidae.  *Might* be Colaspis , but there are many leaf beetles that look like this, at least superficially.

There is also a great deal of variability within a single species in many cases, which only adds to the confusion.

The "Goldsmith Beetle" is a much, much larger and more robust insect.

Have a great weekend!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.