Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Yellow ladybugs

A few days ago I found yellow pupas on my butterfly weed. I left them alone and now the weed is covered with yellow and black bugs that are slightly larger than a ladybug. The black markings on some are almost heart shaped, most are irregular, not dots. Now they seem to be eating the leaves and the birds are not bothering them.  They are not cucumber beetles, but are they good bugs or bad?

Hi Donna
As you may or may not know Butterfly weeds are members of the Milkweed Genus Asclepias. I wish you could send me a photo of those beetles . My guess without seeing them is that they are Red Milkweed Beetles.I think we can assume that they are harmful bugs since they are eating the leaves. Birds do not bother them because are getting  toxic latex fro the plant
Send me a [hoto if possible

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ