Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black carpet beetle?

Question
Mysterious bugger
Mysterious bugger  
QUESTION: Hi. I just found this bug along with about 10 others that are smaller along with about 10 others that are very tiny. I just shampooed the carpet in front of my couch which is where I found all of these bugs. Could this be a black carpet beetle? I thought it might be a small roach  but I'm really not sure.
Thanks so much for your time.

ANSWER: Wanda,

This is a beetle, possible a ground beetle (Carabidae). Can you post a picture of the other bugs you are seeing? Ground beetles don't normally occur indoors but are harmless.

Jack DeAngelis

Beetlejuice
Beetlejuice  

Baby bugs
Baby bugs  
QUESTION: Hi jack. Thanks for the speedy response. I thought it looked like a ground beetle too. But there were more. If indeed they're the same. I've attached some better pics.
If these aren't Roach nymphs that I'm not too concerned. But for the past 5 weeks my son and I have been getting bit by something. He's getting bit quite a lot. Our skin tests haven't come back yet. I fear that we may have bed bugs or bird mites, we live in the country, or maybe even scabies. Our beds are completely encased and bedbug traps have been set and two sided tape has been laid but in all this time I've only caught the usual fare of household bugs. No roaches and no beetles till last night. Hope you can help us.

Answer
Not cockroaches or bed bugs, two different species of beetles. The larger one looks like a carabid, the smaller ones could be black carpet beetles (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/carpet_beetle.html for a bit about carpet beetles). Keep in mind that the vast majority of reported "bug bites" turn out to be caused by something else, often contact or food allergies. Here's a list of insects and mites that actually do bite people http://www.livingwithbugs.com/unknown_bug_bites.html and some things that can mimic bug bites.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis