Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Green bugs

Question
Green bug resized
Green bug resized  
I've found several green bugs on a geranium plant and I think they are eating the leaves. The bugs almost look like a leaf. Attached is a photo. Could you please identify the bug and tell me how to get rid of them safely? Thank you.

Answer
Jean,

This is a type of cricket called a katydid, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae (nice picture by the way!). Usually the numbers are low and they are not treated in gardens. Occasionally swarms occur and cause damage. The safest way to get rid of them would be to hand-pick them and toss into a bucket of soapy water. Large ones can bite so you might want to ware gloves if you handle them.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis