Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Green bugs

Green bug resized
Green bug resized  
I've found several green bugs on a geranium plant and I think they are eating the leaves. The bugs almost look like a leaf. Attached is a photo. Could you please identify the bug and tell me how to get rid of them safely? Thank you.

This is a type of cricket called a katydid, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tettigoniidae (nice picture by the way!). Usually the numbers are low and they are not treated in gardens. Occasionally swarms occur and cause damage. The safest way to get rid of them would be to hand-pick them and toss into a bucket of soapy water. Large ones can bite so you might want to ware gloves if you handle them.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis

I can answer questions in any area of entomology (study of insects, spiders, mites, ticks, and other terrestrial arthropods). Contact me about home and garden insects, insects that bite and sting, and insects that damage homes such as carpenter ants and termites.

20 years as university extension entomologist, now retired; currently publish a website about home and garden insects.

see www.livingwithbugs.com/resume.html

Ph.D. in Entomology