Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification of an insect

Question
CKbug1
CKbug1  

CKbug2
CKbug2  
I have a question about an insect I found in Chatham, Ontario in the early evening of August 16 - we found this little guy crawling around the lawnmower while hosing down the machine.
It has a really interesting marking on its back that captured our attention, and it was moving around very quickly.
We are curious about it being a tick, although it only has 6 legs and is rather large - approximately 1 cm from front to back.

Answer
Dear David - This is a nymph of a stink bug (Hemiptera/Heteroptera: Pentatomidae. It appears to be that of a spined soldier bug, Podisus maculiventris, a predatory species that can be a valuable asset in the garden, see http://tinyurl.com/nvmxyy3 and http://tinyurl.com/p2lrq66 for images and more detailed information.

Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad