Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of bug is this (1 of 2)

Bug Pic #1
Bug Pic #1  

Window Sill
Window Sill  
Hello. I have two bugs that I need help identifying. I will submit them separately. I found this one on the inside of my apt, in the window area (pic attached). It was already dead. I live in an apt. complex on the first floor in Staten Island, NY. I also face the alley where the trash is picked up, although they keep it very tidy and it is picked up several times a week. I'm attaching one pic of the bug (submitting it twice, one is cropped). Sorry if it's hard to see as I already put in between tape. The other of the spot where I found it (the window is behind that mailing box). Thanks!

Dear Stephanie - I cannot be absolutely certain because the image is unclear and dark, bur my best guess is that it most likely is a nymph of a stink bug (family Pentatomidae - see for some examples); in which case it simply is an accidental intruder and nothing to worry about.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.