Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Melanophila

Question
Papilio paris nakaharai
Papilio paris nakahara  
Dear Mr. Saugstad,

I got another question about the fire beetles in the west, for it is almost impossible for you to find them in Taiwan, this humid humid island. From my understanding, animals evolved to survive. Take natural camouflage for instance, some caterpillars can mimic bird droppings or tiny snakes to an unimaginable state. For, the failure of mimicry would mean death to them.

Then, why would Melanophila, this genus of fire beetle, intentionally evolve to be fire loving? For fire are indeed dangerous to most animals. And even though melanophila has an amazing infrared tracking ability, the temperature of burnt ashes could still be high and lethal to them, is that correct?

So, why would they do that? Is it because that their environment had run out of food and resources? So they have to go to extremes or go extinct?

I sincerely wish that this question make sense to you. For my background is actually humanities and I basically know nothing about entomology, or ecology.

Sincerely, Johnnie

Answer
Dear Johnnie - The larvae of fire beetles feed under the bark of dead/dying trees, and a forest fire usually results in a large number of such trees. These beetles' ability to detect both the heat from fire as as well as some volatiles found in the smoke from burning trees allows them to home in on this resource before less capable competitors can do so. This article should help you understand this phenomenon: http://tinyurl.com/propzwq

Hope this helps,
Saugy  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad