Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Possible Spider Wasps

Question
Small Wasp
Small Wasp  

"Ant" wasp
"Ant" wasp  
A question from Voorheesville, NY - just southwest of Albany...

We have recently built a home and they brought in very sandy fill.  I have been able to get grass to grow on it, but there are some patches.  In those patches, I have noticed some small holes, maybe about 2 mm in diameter.  During the day, there appear to be small, winged ants in that area.  Some are tiny and just buzz around, others are larger and enter the holes.  After some investigation, I think they may be some variety of spider wasps.  The field we built our home in used to be home to MANY wolf spiders.  I'm attaching two images.  Can you let me know if this is what they are and if they are of any concern?  We do need to mow and occasionally walk across the area where they've taken up residence.  

In other somewhat related stories, we've found quite the population of Cicada Killer Wasps in another area of our lawn.  We know they're non-aggressive (for the most part), just huge and intimidating.

Thanks for your input!

Answer
Courtney:

Wow, you may have stumped me with the "Ant" wasp.  It is indeed a wasp, quite possibly a spider wasp (Pompilidae), but I'm not positive.  Any chance you can get more images?  If so, then you can contact me directly:

bugeric247ATgmailDOTcom

The "small wasp" is a square-headed wasp, either Crabro or Lestica for the genus if it is nesting in the soil.  Otherwise, it could be Ectemnius , which nests in hollow twigs, beetle borings, or other pre-existing cavities.

None are anything to worry about.  I wouldn't go barefoot, maybe, but their activities should be over shortly anyway.

Thanks for sharing, I enjoy the mysteries!

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton