Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider identification

Question
spider
spider  
I found this spider climbing a curtain in a south facing window in Peralta, New Mexico on August 9, 2015.  I would like to know what the name of the spider.   Thank you.

Answer
Hi, Debbie:

Thanks for including the image.  Unfortunately the spider is in a defensive pose, and its legs are hiding its eyes.  The eye arrangement is important in trying to make identifications of spiders....but, in absence of a size estimate, I think I still may know what it is.

I believe this is a "crevice weaver" in the family Filistatidae, genus Kukulcania .  I wrote a blog post about them awhile back:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2011/08/spider-sunday-crevice-weavers.html

That should answer all of your questions.  They are venomous, but *not* considered to be dangerous to the average, healthy human being or pet.  They normally stay hidden in cracks and crevices from which they spin their sprawling webs.  Look for them venturing out onto the web at night.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton