Entomology (Study of Bugs)/1/8" crawling bug - hard to "squish"

After finding this site, I wish I would have taken a picture before I flushed it down the sink...but here goes..

Alabama  -
Hubby has been getting little bites (he thinks during the night)on his lower extremities within the past week that he says itch. No insects have been found in the bed - linens were changed prior to the bites and definitely afterward...  He spends a lot of time in basement garage, so I attributed it to something biting him down there as I have not had any bites at all.
last night around 8:00 pm sitting on the living room couch last night I had a "creeping" feeling on my arm, glanced and thought it might just be an ant or tiny spider.  I used finger to try to squish it a couple of times ... but it didn't stop crawling.. just seemed to roll and continue crawling. I pinched it between fingers and went into the bathroom to get a better view.. My first thought was a tick (lone star?) but thought it was much smaller than I usually see- we do have cats but they are all inside / never out. It was about 1/8" long or so, never flew, was not shiny, was more of a tan than a brown color but I didn't notice any other markings.  Hubby says it better not be bed bugs...  ::::shivering:::

I wish you had taken a picture, too.  I cannot conclude *anything* from your description; and, "bugs" or spiders are all too often blamed for some other malady manifesting as "bites."  Unless you actually see something biting you, then you cannot jump to the conclusion that a wound is the result of a bite.  That simple.

I'm sorry, but I cannot be of help.  I also explicitly state in my profile "No 'what bit me?' questions, please."  Your particular case is a perfect example of why I don't entertain such questions.

Thank you for understanding.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.