Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bedbugs

I moved into a trailor with bedbugs, orkin sprayed but not the carpet just the edges, did not spray the window sills or any trim up high, they sprayed my couch once and my recliner once, I found 2 more in the 2 weeks before respray..another I bought 3 gallons of spray from another company and sprayed my truck and chair and couch, I need to know if I have to throw away all of my stuff I can't spray....I know they are rentless and will resurface.....please fill me in on all I don't know....thank you so much...Merilee.....

Chemical treatments don't work very well for bed bugs....but then how would Orkin or any major pest control company get repeat business from you?

Heat treatments are most effective, though yes, they cost more.  Then again, by the time you have had repeated visits from various exterminators doing chemical treatments....

If you are renting the trailer, or purchased it, I would think that you inherited the problem.  I would perhaps seek legal help to hold the landlord or seller liable for the cost of treatments.  Here's a blog post I did about bed bugs that you might find helpful:

Bed bugs are literally a nightmare because they are so difficult to treat, and the cost of treatment is so exorbitant.  You need to research both your legal rights and the option of heat treatment.

You have my sincerest best wishes for a good outcome.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.