Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Beetle identification

QUESTION: What is it?  A grayish black beetle, approximately a half centimeter in size, slight teardrop shape to the body with a single horizontal white stripe across the middle of each leg and both antenna.  Found in my blackberry brambles throughout the summer in Oregon.  Doesn't appear to fly or jump.  Didn't get a photo.

I strongly suspect that what you are describing is not a beetle, but a stink bug, either an adult or a nymph.  Two possibilities come to mind:

Brown Marmorated Stink Bug is non-native, and a true pest species.  Brochymena stink bugs are native and not pests.

Hope this helps.  Nymphs, especially, of both species may feed on berries, causing cosmetic damage at least.

QUESTION: It doesn't appear to have wings like a stink bug.  Is it possible that the nymphs' wings have not yet formed.  Also it is much smaller than a stink bug, of which we have a lot.  I tried to get a picture, but unfortunately my photog skills are lagging at best.

Ok, your image definitely depicts a nymph of the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug.  Sorry to be the bearer of bad news that way.

Yes, nymphs do not have wings.  They develop them in stages, so eventually you see "wing pads" before it molts into an adult insect.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.