Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Black bug

Question
I am currently a student at a highschool in Quebec, Canada. Two days ago when I was in my bus going home I noticed a black 2-3 inch long fly type insect resting on the bus floor. It was around 4:30 pm when i first saw it and it didnt appear to want to fly away when approched. Its eyes were located on each side of his head and it had big wings. Today, the same thing occured only with another one of those bugs. My bus driver then killed the second one but didnt know about the first one which had already died on the floor. I am curious to find out what type of insect/bug this is and what are its reproductive capabilities?
Thank you

Answer
Hrad:

I'm sorry, but your description is so vague that there are literally hundreds of possibilities.  Without seeing at least an image, and preferably a specimen, of what you are talking about, I cannot even make an educated guess.

It would be irresponsible of me to hypothesize from this description alone.  Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton