Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug bite

Question
Bug
Bug  

My sister woke up to a painful bite/sting on her toe.  She found this bug in her room shortly afterwards.  Her toe is throbbing, red, and swollen.  Can you help us identify this bug?  We thought it looked like a woodlouse but it appears to have a stinger...?

Thanks!
Liz

Answer
Hi, Liz:

The animal in your image *is* a woodlouse, albeit a dead one.  The last segment on the abdomen has a pair of cerci ("tails"), and perhaps one of them broke off this dry specimen.

Your sister should seek medical attention for the symptoms, and not assume the injury is the result of a bite or sting.  Many, many other medical conditions are too often dismissed as insect or spider "bites" when they are something even more serious, like MRSA.

You may wish to consult a medical professional here at AllExperts, too, for more suggestions; but this is no longer an entomology question given the lack of a "suspect" in a bite scenario.  Please give your sister my sincerest wishes for a swift and full recovery.

Sincerely,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton