Entomology (Study of Bugs)/bug identification

Question
bug-need ID
bug-need ID  

bug 2
bug 2  
Attached is a photo of an insect I found in my kitchen originally. I found many of them in the kitchen. Now I'm  finding one or two in the bedroom and bathroom sometimes. I'd  like to know what they are and how to get rid of them. Thank you.

Answer
Mary,

These are beetles but I can't see enough details around the head and antennae to id much further. However, from your description it is clear that these are like one of the beetles that infest dried foods and dry pet food, there are many species. The key for all of these is to locate the source of infested food and dispose of it. See http://www.livingwithbugs.com/cigarette_drugstore_beetle.html for examples of these beetles and how to control them. Since all of these beetles do pretty much the same thing this should give you a good general idea of how to proceed.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis