Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bugs in my hair

Question
Bug
Bug  

Bug
Bug  
Since the end of July I have had bugs in my hair. I have tried everything which is used for lice to get rid of them. They will not stop multiplying. I do not know what to do to get rid of them. I have seen a doctor and he prescribed malithion (sp). I can only get them out of my hair by combing. Very distressing!!  Any idea how to irradiate?!   Thank you!! I am from Central illinois, USA.

Answer
Dear Cynthia - These are leafhoppers in the family Cicadellidae. These are strictly plant feeders that accidentally got in your hair; they will not infest or cause harm to you in any respect and you need do nothing other than routine washing/brushing your hair. At this time of year, some species become extremely abundant; I often raise clouds of them while mowing our lawn. Although some species can be serious plant pests, they simply are nuisance pests as far as humans are concerned.
Hope this helps,
Saugy

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad