Entomology (Study of Bugs)/It's driving me crazy to find out;

I was looking at my flowers and saw this thing as big as a hummingbird, but knew that it wasn't. It was green, wings the size of a hummingbird, but, on the top it had those little furry things that moths have. I guess to feel what they smell or something. It did not have a bill like hummingbird's. I can't get this out of my mind. I have searched, but to no avail. Can you please help me to find out what exactly this was? Thanks, a lot.

Hello Donna,

Without a photo, I cannot give you a conclusive identification. However, I am pretty sure I know what you saw. If it looked like the photos here, then it was a Hummingbird Moth (species Hemaris diffinis). Let me know if this doesn't look right! Thanks for the question.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior