Entomology (Study of Bugs)/It's driving me crazy to find out;

Question
I was looking at my flowers and saw this thing as big as a hummingbird, but knew that it wasn't. It was green, wings the size of a hummingbird, but, on the top it had those little furry things that moths have. I guess to feel what they smell or something. It did not have a bill like hummingbird's. I can't get this out of my mind. I have searched, but to no avail. Can you please help me to find out what exactly this was? Thanks, a lot.

Answer
Hello Donna,

Without a photo, I cannot give you a conclusive identification. However, I am pretty sure I know what you saw. If it looked like the photos here http://bugguide.net/node/view/2639, then it was a Hummingbird Moth (species Hemaris diffinis). Let me know if this doesn't look right! Thanks for the question.

Best,
Jessica  

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger