Entomology (Study of Bugs)/gestation

How long does it takes for eggs to hatch?  I have quite a few "brewing" in a building I have that was open every day from 9-5 in the summer, but now that we are gone from Swan's Island, Maine, where our self-serve antiques shop is, I am worried about them!  There seem to be about 36 nests in pre-drilled holes in a set of shelves.  What a fantastic discovery!  I found one at work in a crayon holder and later noticed the other places that were capped over with sand.  I reamed that one out to find six caterpillars and later found that the same hole was refilled!  I love it that they are getting food from my husband's garden right next door.
Best wishes,  Maililani Bailey

Your question does not include what *kind* of eggs you are talking about.

Judging from the rest of your question, the holes were used as nest tunnels by some kind of mason wasp, family Eueminae.  The paralyzed caterpillar contents were the give-away.

The next generation of wasps will emerge sometime nest summer, or late spring.  Here's more about eumenids:

The second link, even though it is Colorado-based, is a great overview of the different kinds of solitary bees and wasps that will use pre-existing cavities as nesting sites.  I highly recommend putting out a block of wood with pre-drilled holes as a place for such insects to nest.  "The Bees Needs" website gives information on how to do that, where to place finished blocks, etc.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.