Entomology (Study of Bugs)/gestation

Question
How long does it takes for eggs to hatch?  I have quite a few "brewing" in a building I have that was open every day from 9-5 in the summer, but now that we are gone from Swan's Island, Maine, where our self-serve antiques shop is, I am worried about them!  There seem to be about 36 nests in pre-drilled holes in a set of shelves.  What a fantastic discovery!  I found one at work in a crayon holder and later noticed the other places that were capped over with sand.  I reamed that one out to find six caterpillars and later found that the same hole was refilled!  I love it that they are getting food from my husband's garden right next door.
Best wishes,  Maililani Bailey

Answer
Maililani:

Your question does not include what *kind* of eggs you are talking about.

Judging from the rest of your question, the holes were used as nest tunnels by some kind of mason wasp, family Eueminae.  The paralyzed caterpillar contents were the give-away.

The next generation of wasps will emerge sometime nest summer, or late spring.  Here's more about eumenids:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/249

and

https://thebeesneeds.wordpress.com/

The second link, even though it is Colorado-based, is a great overview of the different kinds of solitary bees and wasps that will use pre-existing cavities as nesting sites.  I highly recommend putting out a block of wood with pre-drilled holes as a place for such insects to nest.  "The Bees Needs" website gives information on how to do that, where to place finished blocks, etc.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton