Entomology (Study of Bugs)/identify insect

Question
IMG_0886
IMG_0886  
Hi Eric,

I was hoping you could help me identify an insect.  It's a small flying black insect with long rear legs.  It kind of looks like a tiny black cricket that flies.  They manage to get in my house all of the time here in Dallas, following me in the door I guess.  The cats love to chase them down and, unless I manage to catch and liberate them, the cats usually succeed.  See attached picture.  Thanks in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Greg

Answer
Hi, Greg:

Thank you so much for including the nice image with your question.  You have a neat critter here!

This is an "ensign wasp," family Evaniidae.  They do not sting, but the female wasp lays a single egg in a cockroach egg pod.  The larva that hatches then eats the cockroach eggs.  I did a blog post about them once:

http://bugeric.blogspot.com/2010/09/wasp-wednesday-evaniidae.html

That link should answer most of your questions.  Thanks again for sharing your discovery.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton