Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identifying a big spider

spider 1
spider 1  

Hi, I am trying to identify this spider that was in my backyard.  I searched the internet but could not find one that looks like it.  Would you be able to help me identify it so I can look up information about it.  I will attach some of the pictures that I was able to take.  Thanks in advance for your time.

Hello Tatia,

Great photos! Try searching Cross Orb Weaver (Araneus diadematus) and looking at photos taken of these from your state. You can find some more info here:

These spiders are non-aggressive, their venom is not considered to be dangerous for humans, and they are lovely to look at! Great find!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior