Entomology (Study of Bugs)/katydid predator?

katydid predator
katydid predator  
I observed this small insect eating the katydid in th afternoon of September 14, in Oak Ridge TN (eastern part of the state). It was on the post of our deck near a wooded section of a ridge. I don't know if it killed the katydid or found it dead. It looks a little like a stink bug except for the color.

Hi, Karen:

Believe it or not, you are correct!  This is the nymph (immature, juvenile, "baby") of the "Spined Soldier Bug," Podisus maculiventris , or a related species of predatory stink bug.  Here's more about them:

I have seen them take down some large prey myself, but this is ridiculous!  It would be like you or me essentially hanging from our heels while clenching a piano in our teeth.  LOL!

Thank you for sharing this amazing image.  This is what I like about studying insects.  You cannot possibly get bored, and are forever flabbergasted.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.