Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What kind of spider is this?

Question
Spider
Spider  
Hi Mr. Eaton,

Are you able to identify the spider in this picture attached?  I live in San Diego, CA.

Answer
Hi, Kayla:

The spider is an orbweaver in the family Araneidae, probably in the genus Araneus .  The image shows the *underside* of the spider, and most all orbweavers look like this from the bottom.  So, without a picture of the back of the spider (instead of its belly), I cannot be more specific.

http://bugguide.net/node/view/1977

The above link gives a little more information about orbweavers.  If you are concerned that it might be dangerously venomous, it is *not*.  No species of orbweaver poses a threat to the average healthy human being or pet.

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton