Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Need help with identification

Unidentified Insect 01
Unidentified Insect 01  

I was out doing some nature shooting in Waitsfield, Vermont this past weekend, and I am having difficulty getting an identification on this particular little bug.  I believe it is a moth, but I can't find a match in the two field guides I have (they are woefully inadequate for anything beyond common species).  Any chance you could give me some information?  Photo is attached.

Thanks sincerely,

Hi Bill
The differences in these small brown moths is so subtle that it is very hard to identify a moth from a photo. I believe it is a member of the Family Geometridae. It resembles  a canker worm moth is a possibity. Loogk at the Genus Alsophilia

small moths

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ