Entomology (Study of Bugs)/spider

Spider top
Spider top  

Spider underside
Spider underside  
hi Eric,

I have been starting to see a few of these spiders in my backyard recently. They are pretty large and also spend some very large webs. Any idea what type of spider it is and any info you can give me about it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

I attempted to answer this question Saturday morning, but AllExperts was incredibly slow and never really allowed me to finish responding....

This spider is one of the "spotted orbweavers," Neoscona crucifera .  I did write a blog post about this species:

That should answer most of your questions.  Thanks for sharing the nice images!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton

I answer insect and spider identification questions ONLY. Attach images if possible. No "what bit me?", "what do I feed this bug in captivity?", or science fair project questions please. NO TECHNICAL QUESTIONS ABOUT INSECT PHYSIOLOGY.

Principal author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America. Professional entomologist employed previously at University of Massachusetts, Chase Studio, Inc., and Cincinnati Zoo; contract work for West Virginia Department of Natural Resources, Smithsonian Institution, and Portland (Oregon) State University.

Author, Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Missouri Conservationist magazine, Ranger Rick, Birds & Blooms, Timeline (journal of the Ohio Historical Society). I have contributed to several books as well.

Oregon State University, undergraduate major in entomology, did not receive degree.

One of the top 50 experts in all categories for AllExperts.com, 2009.

Principal author of the Kaufman Field Guide to Insects of North America, Smithsonian Institution (contract), Cincinnati Zoo (employer), Portland State University (contract), Chase Studio, Inc (employer), Arkansas Museum of Discovery (guest speaker). Currently seeking speaking engagements, leadership roles at nature festivals, workshops, and ecotours.