Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider

Question
Iently found a large, about 2-21/2 " solid black spider in my living room. My 2 cats were toying with it and without thinking I immediately stepped on it, thus, not much further ID was possible. It had access from the outdoors and was one of a kind for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Answer
Hi John
Your mention of the cats and the spider makes me thing of Garfield amd his attack on the spider with a newspaper.
A large dark spider in a house is almost always a wolf spider and I am sure that is what your cats were playing with. Wolf spiders  are usually confined to dark ares and basements. They are not aggressive and nit dangerous. I am sure this was an isolated incident

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz