Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Strange Laundry Dryer Bugs

Bug #1
Bug #1  

Bug #2
Bug #2  
Hello, I have been trying to Google this bug for a few days and haven't been able to come up with anything. I even uploaded the image to Google Search and no luck. I was wondering what these bugs were, why they showed up and how to get rid of them - there were a lot. They came from behind our laundry dryer and fluttered around for a bit, but didn't exactly fly. I assumed it had something to do with the high heat the dryer gave off. The laundry machine and dryer are in our bathroom, which is small with one small window. Would you please help me identify them? Thank you for your time.

Hi Elizabeth,

Thanks for the question and for including the great photos. I am sorry to tell you that you have termites. They are probably causing damage to your bathroom, but can be treated with a number of commercially available sprays and baits. Good luck and please let me know if you have any other questions.

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior