Entomology (Study of Bugs)/What is this bug

Question
Bettle???
Bettle???  

Bug
Bug  
my name is Rita I live n Bakersfield,  California & I recently found this little critter crawling  on my bed where me & my 4 year old sleep. Can you please help me identify it? The color  of it is more of a dark brown, may only  appear to be  black bc of lighting. Oh and their is a slight indented line virtually down the center of his back. Thank you.

Answer
Rita,

I'm sorry but I can't see enough detail through the tape. It does look like a beetle but again I can't see any features to id further. If you find another try to get a photo when it is alive and I'd be glad to take another look.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis