Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Casemaking clothes moth

Question
Bug
Bug  
Over recent months I have noticed several of these on a new timber floor.  I have only just discovered what they are - even after asking several pest control companies. Where would you look for the source of these?
Do they live in sandy conditions as I have an external paving area (under cover) on a sand base?

Answer
Ian,

The larvae of these moths live inside the case and feed on a wide variety of organic fibers, everything from silk and wool fibers to spider webs. These moths generally occur indoors at least in temperate climates, so the source is probably not outside. They are harmless, only causing damage to cloth (silk, hair, wool and so on) when present in large numbers (see http://www.livingwithbugs.com/clothes_moth.html for additional info.). The source is likely near where you found the larvae.

Jack DeAngelis

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jack DeAngelis