Entomology (Study of Bugs)/larve in toilet tank

I took the lid off my toilet tank and saw what looked like granules of yeast in several places on top of the water and they moved. Yuk! Any idea what they are. I have an extermination company coming for their scheduled visit , do you think they can help? I drained the water and put bleach in the tank. Any other suggestions?

Hi Madalyn
I cannot tell you whether or not these are insects without seeing them but any insects in water would most likely be fly larvae and I doubt that a fly could lay eggs in the tank. After you treated the tank did the granules return?
You asked me if the exterminator could  help. My experiences with exterminators have been negative for the most part  If they can't see anything either they can not make an identification. If granules have not returned any want to charge you for some king of treatment, decline

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Walter Hintz

I can answer any questions about insects and spiders.

I have taught science for over 57 years. I am presently teaching biology at the college level. I have done extensive graduate work in entomology.

Momentum Magazine The Ohio Journal of Science

B.S. In Ed Kent State Unuv M.Sc The Ohio State Univ National Science Foundation Fellowships: Electron Microscopy Univ of California Entomology Kent State Univ