Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Spider and web

Question
Spider and web
Spider and web  
I took this photo of spider and web on July 5, 2015 in Mahoning County, Ohio, at 1:22 PM.  It was in our small field. Can you help me with the identification? I realize there are hundreds of spiders in Ohio and it might not be possible to ID this one, which seems to be upside down, but any help you can give me would be appreciated. I could not find the web the next day and have never seen a web like this in our field before or since. Thank you very much.

Answer
Hi, Leslie:

That is really interesting!  At least I can give you a genus-level ID for the spider.  It is an immature (juvenile) orbweaver in the genus Mangora .  I believe there are three species in Ohio.  Here's more about them:

http://bugguide.net/node/view/27422

As they get older, the spiders cease to build the little ring of silk that shows in your image; but these are small spiders even as adults.

Thanks for sharing your observation!

Cheers,

Eric

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Eric R. Eaton