Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug on bed

Question
Bug
Bug  

Bugg??
Bugg??  
Hi I live in Southern California and found this little bug crawling on my bed was wondering if you could possibly help identify it. we do have a dog who recently moved into the house but she rarely enters the room where I found this bug. I'm sending you a picture of what it looks like I hope it helps. it is tape on top of a blue sheet I have on my bed. I'm worried bc I have a 4 year old and don't know if this bug could be effecting her health in any way. Please help thank you.

Answer
Hi Rita,

Thanks for the clear photos. You found a carpet beetle. You probably have more than one and maybe have seen larvae around the house. The larvae look like fuzzy worms. There is no health concern for you or your daughter. If I were you, though, I would try to get rid of the beetles and larvae because they can damage some of your possessions. They feed on things made from animal products (feathers, wool, fur, silk...), but avoid synthetics.

Good luck and thanks for the question!

Best,
Jessica

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger