Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Bug on bed

Hi I live in Southern California and found this little bug crawling on my bed was wondering if you could possibly help identify it. we do have a dog who recently moved into the house but she rarely enters the room where I found this bug. I'm sending you a picture of what it looks like I hope it helps. it is tape on top of a blue sheet I have on my bed. I'm worried bc I have a 4 year old and don't know if this bug could be effecting her health in any way. Please help thank you.

Hi Rita,

Thanks for the clear photos. You found a carpet beetle. You probably have more than one and maybe have seen larvae around the house. The larvae look like fuzzy worms. There is no health concern for you or your daughter. If I were you, though, I would try to get rid of the beetles and larvae because they can damage some of your possessions. They feed on things made from animal products (feathers, wool, fur, silk...), but avoid synthetics.

Good luck and thanks for the question!

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Jessica Mellinger

I can answer questions about invertebrates native to California, including insects commonly found in homes. If you have an identification request, please attach a photo to your question.

I was involved in collection and identification of invertebrates for the United States Geological Survey, Biological Resources Division for six years. Also, I provided these same services intermittently for the UC Davis John Muir Institute of the Environment for many years. I have been a member of AllExperts.com since 2009.

Department of the Interior: United States Geological Survey, Davis Field Station; University of California, Davis Aggie Alumni Association; UC Davis Center for Neuroscience; U.S. Department of Veteran's Affairs

I have two B.A.'s from the University of California, Davis and two Associate's degrees from Sacramento City College.

Special Thanks for Achieving Results award from the Department of the Interior