Entomology (Study of Bugs)/Identification of the insect.

Microscopic view of insect.
Microscopic view of in  
Insect on my blanket.
Insect on my blanket.  
QUESTION: Hello there, I want you to identify this small insect. From past 3 weeks I always see one these on my bed and kill them. This has become a routine. Every day one of them come I kill them. I don't know where do they come from and wheather they are dangerous or not. Tell me all about this insect and it's name too if possible. I have clicked some photos from my small microscope 🔬. My mother said they are insects which lives as parasites on dogs but in our home there is no dog living.

ANSWER: Dear Tathagat - I'm afraid that you have bed bugs. You should contact a professional pest control service with experience in treating these insects. I do not know which country you live in, but see <> for an example.
Hope this helps,

QUESTION: Thanks for this information. I live in India. I also want to ask you that are they poisonous and would there bite effect our body and also how do they came on my bed I mean what is the reason of thier presence on my bed.

Dear Tathagat - Bed bugs are not venomous and have not been proven to vector any human diseases, but they definitely are unpleasant pests to have around. The ones you find on your bed likely had come out from their hiding places to seek a blood meal; see <> for an excellent overview on bed bug biology. Also see <> and <> for a couple of examples of pest control companies in India.
Hope this helps,

Entomology (Study of Bugs)

Ed Saugstad

Will accept most questions in general entomology, including those related to medical entomology, taxonomy, ecology, arthropod surveillance, and pest management. If you are requesting a 'mystery bug' identification, PLEASE either attach an image to your question, or post an image on a web page (such as Flickr) so that I can look at it, as verbal descriptions frequently are insufficient for a definitive identification.

21 years in the U.S. Army as a medical entomologist; duties varied from surveillance of pest populations (including mosquitoes, cockroaches, ticks, and stored products pests) to conducting research on mosquito-virus ecological relationships and mosquito faunal studies. Ten years as a civilian analyst for the Department of Defense, primarily on distribution of vector-borne diseases worldwide. Limited experience on surveillance of agricultural insects in North Dakota and Indiana.

Entomological Society of America, West Virginia Entomological Society, Society for Vector Ecology, National Speleological Society, West Virginia Association for Cave Studies.

American Journal of Public Health, Contributions of the American Entomological Institute, Japanese Journal of Sanitary Zoology, Journal of Economic Entomology, Mosquito News, and Mosquito Systematics.

B.S. in entomology from North Dakota State University in 1963, M.S. in entomology from Purdue University in 1967.